Inventory Unit Detail
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan® 1700 Classic LT
Call for Price
Stock Image: Metallic Dark Green / Pearl Burnish Beige
Vulcan® 1700 Classic LT
Powerful 1700cc V-Twin engine
- Liquid cooled, 4-valve per cylinder, fuel-injected 1700cc V-twin engine
- Long-stroke 102 x 104mm bore and stroke helps deliver high levels of torque approximately 15 percent greater than that of the Vulcan 1600
- Valve system is based on the Vulcan 2000, but uses a SOHC arrangement instead of OHV for more direct engine feel and quicker revving
- Semi-dry sump allows a lower crankshaft placement and a longer piston stroke without increasing engine height
- Single-pin crank provides the desirable power-pulse feel
- Twin counter-balancers handle smoothing the engine pulses
- A large capacity airbox is located on both sides of the engine
- Small-diameter iridium sparkplugs reach deep into the combustion chamber for high combustion efficiency, especially at low-load operation (near idling)
- Features dual mufflers on the right side of the bike
- Engine tuning offers superior acceleration in the 50-70mph (80-113km/h) range
- Even in overdrive, the engine pulls strongly in this speed range, facilitating overtaking at highway speeds
Next Generation FI
- Based on systems already on Ninja 650R and Vulcan 900
- Utilizes one sensor in place of the usual three, for less complexity and weight
- The cruising-oriented Classic utilizes a FI and exhaust set up to deliver its peak torque and peak horsepower at lower rpm
On Board Diagnostics
- Diagnostic system allows self testing of the electronic systems on the Vulcan 1700
- Displays codes on the instrumentation, which can be read by owner; using accessory manual
Electronic Throttle Valve System
- Kawasaki's first fully electronic throttle actuation system enables the ECU to control the volume of the fuel (via fuel injectors) and the air (via throttle valves) delivered to the engine. Ideal fuel injection and throttle valve position results in smooth, natural engine response
- Control of both fuel injection and airflow enables precise cold-engine idling speed control
- From the rider's perspective, the electronic throttle valve works like a standard cable-operated throttle the throttle grip is still connected to cables, so the feel at the grip is the same
- Twisting the throttle turns a throttle pulley on the throttle body actuating the Accelerator Position Sensor (APS), located on the throttle body, to send a signal to the ECU, which then actuates the throttle valves via a DC motor. Throttle position is confirmed to the ECU by Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) APS and TPS send two sets of signals to the ECU for system redundancy in the unlikely event of a sensor failure.
Transmission / Final Drive
- Six-speed transmission
- 6th gear is an overdrive gear, contributing to stress-free riding and better fuel economy when cruising at highway speeds
- 28mm carbon fiber final drive belt has a 40 percent higher tensile strength than current Kevlar units nearly twice its width and allows the Vulcan 1700 to use a slim belt only 2mm wider than that on the Vulcan 900
- The drive belt is quiet and efficient and helps reduce maintenance chores
Lightweight handling chassis
- A more compact package than its predecessors, the new frame features a shorter wheelbase, and shorter distance between the seat and frame head pipe, for improved rider ergonomics and easier maneuverability
- Designed to be as light and slim as possible, the frame minimizes the number of forged parts and trims any unnecessary metal. The only forged parts are areas that require additional strength the down-tube joint, engine brackets, side-stand bracket, and rear fender/shock absorber bracket
- The new frame is 4.4 pounds lighter than its predecessors, and has a 40% increase in rigidity
- The compact design contributes to light handling and facilitates handling at low speeds, especially when executing precise slow speed maneuvers like parking or making U-turns
43mm Telescopic Fork
- Provides superb steering feedback and excellent ride quality
- Features 4-way preload adjustment
Dual Adjustable Rear Air-Shocks
- Feature Air adjustable spring preload to match the load
- 4-way rebound damping for a smooth and comfortable ride
- Feature chromed shock covers, contributing the luxurious finish of the rear of the bike
9-Spoke Cast Wheels
- Allows the use of tubeless tire and complement its new muscular styling
- 130/90 front and 170/70 rear radial tires offer good traction, smooth ride and classy style
- Tire choice and suspension settings augment the light handling characteristics
- Dual 300mm front disc brakes and single 300mm rear disc brake, both with twin-piston calipers provide smooth, powerful stops
V-twin Visual Appeal
- Basic engine structure has a great impact on a V-Twin engine's appearance.
- The line created by the top of the airbox and the cylinder heads forms a curved lined that continues to flow through the bike.
- Deeply chromed engine covers have curved upper surfaces. Their three-dimensional form adds volume and gives a quality appearance.
- The edges of the fins receive a special NC treatment that makes them gleam in sunlight
- All the non-chromed parts of the engine have a matt black finish that further accentuates the chromed parts
- The fuel tank's hand-sculpted contours employ constantly varying radii, giving the bike a dynamism that is pleasing both to the eye and to the touch
- Its lines flowing through the rest of the bike, the elegantly shaped fuel tank contributes to the Vulcan 1700's curvaceous figure
- Ignition switch allows on-position key removal; preventing key bunches from scratching the instrument cluster or tank while the bike is in operation
- Turning the ignition switch collar to the “OFF” position turns the engine off and necessitates re-insertion of the key to restart
- Multi-function LCD displays on the tank-mounted instrument cluster are controlled by switches on the right handle. Features include a gear position indicator, fuel gauge, clock, odometer, dual trip meters, remaining range and average fuel consumption
- Liberal use of chrome on the engine, fender brackets, light stays, and rear shock cover contrasts nicely with the bodywork's deep, lustrous paint
- Simple design of the seat cover balances rich visual tone of the bodywork
- Motif from the front fender continues on the rear fender, which features an elegant LED taillight
- Thick, optically correct acrylic plastic windscreen is shaped for smooth airflow and cruiser style
- Strong chrome plated steel supports
- Two-position height
Seat and Passenger Backrest
- Detailed with ½-inch diameter chrome plated brass studs
- Strong chrome plated steel supports
- Made of reinforced top grain cowhide carefully selected with minimal flaws and deep dyed to prevent scrapping off the finish
- Slant top opening lid, secured with two 1.5-inch wide leather straps with chrome buckles and quick release stealth fasteners
- Dual panel lid construction with embossed Vulcan logo detail
- Metal reinforced upper edge so bags hold their shape
- Rolled and riveted top lid minimizes water entry
- One-half inch diameter chrome plated brass stud accents match the seats
- Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder, V-twin
- Displacement: 1,700cc / 103.7ci
- Bore x stroke: 102 x 104mm
- Compression ratio: 9.5:1
- Final Drive: Belt
- Cooling: Liquid, plus cooling fins
- Ignition: Digital fuel injection, dual 42mm throttle bodies
- Transmission: Six-speed with overdrive
- Frame: Steel, double-cradle with box-section single-tube backbone
- Rake / trail: 30° / 6.7 in.
- Front Suspension / wheel travel: 43mm hydraulic fork / 5.5 in.
- Rear Suspension / wheel travel: Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping / 3.1 in.
- Tire, front: 130/90x16
- Tire, rear: 170/70x16
- Brakes, front / rear: Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers / Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper
- Overall length: 98.4 in.
- Overall width: 40.4 in.
- Overall height: 57.7 in.
- Seat height: 28.4 in.
- Curb weight: 804.8 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 5.3 gal.
- Wheelbase: 65.6 in.
- Colors: Metallic Nocturne Blue / Pearl Burnish Beige, Metallic Dark Green / Pearl Burnish Beige
- Warranty: 12 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months
- Engine Type
- Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, SOHC, four valves per cylinder, V-twin
- 1,700 cc (103.7 cu. in.)
- Bore and Stroke
- 102 x 104 mm
- Liquid, plus cooling fins
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Digital fuel injection, dual 42 mm throttle bodies
- Digital fuel injection, dual 42 mm throttle bodies
- Front Suspension
- 43 mm hydraulic fork; Travel: 5.5 in.
- Rear Suspension
- Swingarm with twin air-assisted shocks, with 4-way rebound damping; Travel: 3.1 in.
- Front Brakes
- Dual 300 mm discs, dual twin-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 300 mm disc, twin-piston caliper
- Front Tire
- Rear Tire
- 65.6 in.
- Seat Height
- 28.4 in.
- 6.7 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 5.3 gal.
- Dry Weight
- 804.8 lbs
- Six-speed with overdrive
- Final Drive
- Metallic Nocturne Blue / Pearl Burnish Beige, Metallic Dark Green / Pearl Burnish Beige
- Standard: 12 months; Optional: Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12, 24, 36 or 48 months